Find out if you are eligible for travel passes when you retire.
- If you left service through voluntary severance, the criteria for travel facilities are different from those detailed below. Please contact Staff Travel for further details
- If you were dismissed from TfL, you are not eligible for travel facilities
- If you were granted an immediate enhanced ill-health pension, you may be credited with up to an additional five years to count towards your total service
- If you are a partner of a retired member of staff who has died, you can keep any retired travel facilities already issued
- You must hand in your Staff Oyster card and any other staff passes to your line manager on the day you leave TfL
You may also be eligible for free or reduced rate travel facilities through your local council and should contact them for more details.
Once we have confirmed that you are eligible for retaining travel facilities in retirement, your passes will be reissued as retired versions and sent to your home address.
We aim to issue retired passes to you before you leave TfL or, at the latest, within two weeks of you leaving.
Retired Staff Oyster card
You are eligible for a Retired Staff Oyster card if you:
- Are a TfL employee, and
- Retire at age 50 or over, and
- Have at least 20 years' service with a participating employer or successor to London Regional Transport
If you are eligible for a Retired Staff Oyster card and your nominee has a Nominee Oyster card, they will also be issued with a Retired Oyster card.
You can use your Retired Staff Oyster card on the services described in the conditions of use, which will be sent with your card. You can also:
- Get a third off Thames Clipper River Bus services by showing your Retired Staff Oyster card when you buy a ticket
- Pay a reduced fare on IFS Cloud Cable Car if you show your Retired Staff Oyster card when you buy a Boarding Pass
If you started working for London Transport before 1970, the following conditions of use apply:
Retired Privilege Ticket Authority Card (PTAC)
You are eligible for a Retired Privilege Ticket Authority Card (PTAC) if you:
- Are a TfL employee and entered service before 1 April 1996, and
- Retire at age 50 or over, and
- Had a staff PTAC with London Regional Transport, London Underground Limited or were in an administrative or management grade with London Buses
If you are eligible for a Retired PTAC, you can also get one for:
- Your partner if they already have a Partner PTAC
- Dependent children aged 5-24 (children aged over 16 must be in full-time education and a headed letter from the school, college or university confirming their studies must be supplied)
- If your children had an All Rail PTAC, they will be issued with a replacement All Rail PTAC when you retire
- Your children will be issued with a TfL rail PTAC if your partner opted to have a retired Staff Oyster card rather than a PTAC. TfL rail PTACs do not allow priv-rate travel on National Rail Services
16+ Dependent Child PTACs are valid for 12 months and expire on 31 December. They can reapply for their PTAC each year, provided they can provide evidence that they are still in full time education, using the annual reissue application form.
Privilege rate pay as you go
If you have a Retired PTAC, you can apply to use pay as you go at priv rate on National Rail services where pay as you go is accepted. Your partner and dependants can also apply if they have a PTAC.
Applying for privilege rate pay as you go
You need to get the privilege discount set on another Oyster card - it cannot be set on your Retired Staff Oyster card. Before applying, you must read all the information on the Oyster card privilege discount application form:
If you, your partner or dependants already have an Oyster card/photocard, you must:
- Complete the Oyster card privilege discount application form
- Send it to Staff Travel for authorisation
As well as standard Oyster cards, privilege discount can also be added to 11-15, 16+ and 18+ Oyster photocards.
When you get the authorised form back from Staff Travel, take it to any Tube station with your PTAC and ask a member of staff to set the privilege discount on your Oyster card or Oyster photocard. You will also need to add some credit to cover future journeys.
If you, your partner or dependants don't have an Oyster card, you must:
- Apply for an Oyster photocard, if required
- Take your completed authorised application form with the PTAC to a Tube station
- If required, get an Oyster card (you will need to pay a refundable £5 deposit) and ask a member of staff to set the privilege discount on it. You will also need to add some credit to cover future journeys
Under 16s must have an Oyster photocard for pay as you go travel at privilege child rate. They need to take their Oyster photocard to a Tube station with the authorised application form and ask a member of staff to set the privilege discount.
Note that not all privilege discounts can be set on all types of Oyster card/photocards (see below).
You can apply on behalf of your partner and dependants.
You cannot apply online.
Setting the discount on an Oyster card
The privilege discount can only be set on certain Oyster cards, according to the type of PTAC held.
The privilege discount for retired staff can only be set on a standard Oyster card.
The privilege discount for dependent children aged over 16 can be set on:
- A standard Oyster card
- An 18+ Student Oyster photocard
- A 16+ Zip Oyster photocard (All Rail PTAC only)
- An 11-15 Zip Oyster photocard (valid until 30 September after the holder's 16th birthday)
The privilege discount for dependent children aged under 16 can only be set on:
- An 11-15 Zip Oyster photocard
- A 5-10 Zip Oyster photocard*
*5-10 Zip Oyster photocards allow free travel on most National Rail services in London where pay as you go is accepted, as well as all TfL's rail services. You will only need to set the privilege discount on a 5-10 Oyster photocard if your child has an All Rail PTAC and wants to use child-rate privilege pay as you go to travel on:
- Southeastern high speed services between St. Pancras International and Stratford International
- Gatwick Express services between London Victoria and Gatwick
Child-rate privilege discount can't be set be on a standard Oyster card.
The privilege discount for partners of retired staff can only be set on:
- A standard Oyster card
- An 18+ Student Oyster photocard
It can't be set on a Zip (16+, 11-15 or 5-10) Oyster photocard.
Once the privilege discount has been set, you will be able to add credit to it:
- At Tube, DLR, London Overground, Elizabeth line and National Rail stations
- At Oyster Ticket Stops
- Online. If you do not already have an account, you can create one
- At Visitor Centres
The privilege discount will expire when your PTAC expires. Your replacement PTAC will be posted to you. You then need to take your new PTAC with your Oyster card or Oyster photocard to any Tube station to get the privilege discount renewed.
You do not need to pay a fee or complete another application form to do this.
Privilege season tickets
Retired staff cannot buy privilege season tickets for their own use.
You can still apply for a privilege season ticket for your dependent children if they:
- Have a valid PTAC, and
- Are using it for education purposes - that is, travelling from home to and from school, college or university
You can apply using the privilege season ticket application form. You must do this at least 20 working days before the start date.
- Send the completed application form to Staff Travel for authorisation
- The application form will be returned to your home address
- Take the authorised form to a National Rail station to buy the ticket
Staff Travel Cards
A Staff Travel Card (STC) gives you unlimited free travel on most National Rail services for one day (restrictions apply). These travel cards have replaced the system of free tickets.
You can apply for an STC if you:
- Started working for London Transport (excluding staff employed by London Buses), London Regional Transport, or Docklands Light Railway before 1 April 1996
- Have a 1st class PTAC
You need to complete an STC application and send it to Staff Travel at least 20 working days before you need it.
It will be posted to your home address.
Using your STC
Instructions setting out where and how to use your STC will be sent with your card. You can only use your STC on National Rail services.
Each card has a series of boxes. The number allocated to you depends on eligibility, based on your employment terms and conditions, and your pay band (grade).
The allowances are:
- Pay band four or above - 6 or above
- Pay bands two and three - 4 boxes
Each dated box allows unlimited free travel on:
- That day
- Up to midnight on the next day
- After 22:00 hours on the day before (if you are making an overnight journey)
Before you travel
The boxes must be completed in accordance with the Conditions of Use, and instructions that come with the STC. You must fill in the appropriate box for the STC to be valid.
You must make sure that the day and month of the journey is clearly entered in ink in an available box on your STC. Make sure you use a zero in front of single digits e.g. 7 August would be 07/08.
The boxes must be used in number order.
Using your STC for free journeys on National Rail services
Once your STC has been dated, it is your ticket.
During the period your ticket is valid, you do not need to travel continuously; you can make any number of journeys up to midnight the next day.
Only the person named on the STC can use it and the holder must carry their PTAC with them when using it to travel.
Booking your seat
If you want to book a seat, you must do this at a National Rail ticket office; you can't book seats over the phone or online.
You will need to show your STC and PTAC. Your seat will be reserved for you on the day you want.
Free travel on ferries and in Ireland
If you have an STC, you can apply for tickets to travel for free on:Stena Line ferries to:
- Cairnryan - Belfast
- Fishguard - Rosslare
- Holyhead - Dublin
- Harwich - Hook of Holland
- Irish Railways
The number of free journeys you can book depends on the number of boxes on your STC. You can make:
- One Irish and/or Stena Line journey if you have four boxes
- Two Irish and/or Stena Line journeys if you have six boxes
You must complete the application for free travel on Stena Line.
Reservations are compulsory on all sailings.
All crossings tend to be exceptionally busy throughout the summer months, Christmas, New Year, Easter, Halloween and Bank Holiday periods.
You are advised to book as early as possible as space for free travel is subject to availability. You can ask for an alternative sailing if your first choice sailing is full.
You cannot book at the port on the day of departure.
All Stena Line services are standard class.
You will need to pay any port taxes. There are shown below in each direction:
|Child tax (4-13 years)
|Fishguard - Rosslare
|Holyhead - Dublin
|Cairnryan - Belfast
|Liverpool - Belfast
|Harwich - Hook of Holland
*Can only pay this at Harwich.
You should check in at least 45 minutes prior to departure on all routes except Belfast - Liverpool where you need to allow 90 minutes.
You are advised to book as early as possible as space for free travel is subject to availability. The Conditions of Use for Staff Travel Cards apply.
Once completed, you need to send the form to Staff Travel who will authorise it and forward it to Stena Line for processing. The form will be returned to you with a booking reference. You need to take the form, your STC and PTAC to the port when you travel.
You must complete the application for free travel on Irish Railways, which gives more information about eligibility.
Once you've completed the application form, send it to Staff Travel who will authorise the application and forward it to Irish Railways. Please note:
- The form must be received by Staff Travel 6 weeks before your intended travel date
- Tickets can be valid for a maximum of 1 month from the date of the outward journey
Irish Railways will send the tickets to TfL Staff Travel, who in turn will post them to your home address. You will need to carry your STC and PTAC with you when you use your free ticket on Irish Railways.
The Conditions of Use for Staff Travel Cards apply.
Staff Travel Cards are issued in April each year and will be sent to your home address by Staff Travel. You can use your STC from 1 April to 30 June (e.g. 1 April 2017 to 30 June 2018). You will therefore have two valid STCs for three months of each year. You can use either to get free travel during this time, if you have available boxes on your STC
You can only use your STC on National Rail services in line with endorsement no.11 printed on the card.
Travel restrictions for free and privilege travel
Using free and privilege tickets on National Rail services and Stena Line are subject to restrictions. The current restrictions are detailed in the document below.
For more information, please contact the operator.
Other travel discounts
If you have a Retired Staff Oyster card, you can buy discounted tickets to travel on Eurostar for yourself and five companions, as shown below.
London to Rotterdam and Amsterdam
The one way fare is £35 in Standard Class and £60 in Standard Premier.
Alternatively between the Netherlands and Brussels you can book on Thalys trains at public fares, on www.eurostar.com
|Standard One Way
|Standard Premier One Way
|Brussels, Lille, Paris
|Any Belgian station
To book, call 03448 224888, at least seven days before you want to travel. Tickets are subject to availability.
Tickets are non-exchangeable and non-refundable. You must print them at home or use a self-service ticket machine.
You must travel with the group and can take up to 5 companions.
You cannot book tickets to travel on Fridays between 17:30 and 19:00.
You must take your Retired Staff Oyster Card and photocard and show this to a member of staff when asked.
Privilege Ticket Authority Cards (other services)
If you have a PTAC, you can get discounted travel on Wightlink and Stena services, and some other rail services. These are detailed in the document below and are subject to restrictions, which are available from the operators.
Bus services outside London
You may be eligible for a National Concessionary Scheme Pass which allows you to travel free on all bus services in England. Contact your local council to find out more.
Retired staff whose Retired photocards are endorsed 'also available on former Country Bus Services routes' can travel free on any journey on bus services detailed in the document below.
Lost, stolen or damaged passes
Lost or stolen passes
If your Retired Staff Oyster card, PTAC or Staff Travel Card is lost or stolen, contact Staff Travel to report the loss.
To replace lost or stolen nominee or dependent children passes, call to report the loss then complete the lost/stolen replacement application form and send it to Staff Travel.
- Nominees: Include proof that your nominee still lives at the same address as you
- Dependent children: Some passes require proof that the children are still in full time education
Lost and stolen standard Oyster cards and Oyster photocards with privilege discount should be reported using your account (if you have one), or by calling Customer Services on 0343 222 1234 (TfL call charges).
All lost and stolen Oyster cards will be stopped so that they can no longer be used.
Staff Travel will post your replacement passes to you. An administrative fee may apply.
Oyster card not working
If your Retired Staff Oyster card stops working, email [email protected] to ask for a replacement.
If your partner's Nominee Oyster card stops working, you will also need to write to Staff Travel and provide proof that your nominee still lives at the same address as you.
Change of circumstances
You can change your nominee pass to someone else by:
- Completing a new Retired Nominee Oyster card application form (available on request), and
- Attaching proof of address and sending it to Staff Travel
You should also return the current Retired Nominee Oyster card. If you can't do this, you must report it as lost/stolen/withdrawn, stating why you can't return the pass.
If your circumstances change e.g. you change your address, please advise Staff Travel at:
14 Pier Walk
Email: [email protected]