Tax and Tax Codes

Living in the UK 

Your pension is treated as earned income and will be taxed under the PAYE system, just as your salary was while you were working. HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will advise both you and the Fund Office of the correct tax code to be used. 

Retirement lump sums up to the maximum allowable are tax-free under current legislation. 

A P60 will be included in your annual payslip to help with your tax return. 

The Fund is not authorised to deal with enquiries about tax matters and all enquiries should be referred to HMRC Taxes at:  

Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs

Telephone:0300 200 3300

If you contact the HMRC, you will need to tell them:

  • Your National Insurance number 
  • The Fund's reference - 083/LT7 

Living overseas 

You will normally be taxed according to the tax laws of the country where you live. You may be able to choose to be subject to UK tax, but you should check with HMRC Financial Intermediaries and Claims Office, which can be contacted at: 

Inland Revenue International 
Centre for Non-residents 
Fitz Roy House 
PO Box 46 
NG2 1BD 

Telephone outside UK:+ 44 151 210 2222 
Telephone inside UK:0845 070 0040 

Further information about tax 

For more information about tax matters, please visit the HMRC website